The Concord Small Business Practice LLM, the first LLM in the country focused solely on small business, is designed for practicing attorneys and recent law school graduates who want an in-depth, practical knowledge of the legal issues unique to small business, an increasingly important segment of the economy.
Students take courses developed and taught by both practitioners and academics, which emphasize issues that are unique or especially important to start-up enterprises and small firms. With the practical, focused knowledge they receive and the credential they earn, graduates may have the opportunity to become more competitive in providing legal services and could greatly expand the reach and quality of their legal services to small businesses, which make up more than 90 percent of the business firms in the United States.
The online Small Business Practice LLM is a 24-unit, part-time program that generally will be completed in two years. The core set of required courses blend practice with theory and emphasize skills to enhance professional competence. The courses are familiar in name to every lawyer but, as structured for the LLM, are very different in focus and content, and carefully tuned to small business:
- Leasing Commercial Real Estate
- Employee Management and Benefits I
- Employee Management and Benefits II
- Structure and Governance of Small Firms and Other Closely Held Business Organizations
- Protecting and Selling Intellectual Property
- Electronic Contracting, Business on the Web and E-Commerce
- Business Torts
- Representing Small Business in Government Contracting
- Regulation and Finance in Starting and Growing a Small Business
- Taxation and Succession Planning
- Creditor and Bankruptcy Rights of Sole Proprietors and Small Firms
- Law Practice Management
For course descriptions and more information about the Small Business Practice LLM including a tuition discount, please visit http://smallbusinessllm.com or contact the program director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to read about how Concord is changing the way legal education is delivered.